Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wednesday's Waves -- Surfing (SUP) Session



After being sick for the past week, I finally found a good day to head to the beach.  With the weather at almost 80 degrees and the winds projected to be light, I figured I had a small window to paddle out.  

When we arrived (yes I took Bettina with me), I found that it was flat with a few rollers coming in at knee height about every 3-5 minutes.  So I quickly took the SUP out (vs the longboard) and didn't even put on the wetsuit (yes, the water temp is running a little brisk at 63 degrees and Swellinfo.com wetsuit guide recommends a 3/2 full suit).

However, since I was SUPing and not SURFING, I thought I won't fall in the water, but that was a mistake.  

After paddling out, the conditions got better for a short while and I was watching waves on the SUP and riding them to shore.  While NOT large waves, there were FUN waves!  And I only got wet a few times…boy howdy those board shorts were NOT enough to stay warm, but it was FUN!





BTW:  The forecast for the next week doesn't look promising :(  The only good day is projected to be Friday morning with some glassy conditions in the morning with swells at the 3-4+ ft level.  Looks like side shore and on shore winds will make it a little choppy for the foreseeable future.  Let's hope Friday (and potentially Saturday) stays as projected.

No comments:

Post a Comment