Saturday, February 15, 2014

Surf Spots - Kaisers Hawaii

Give me a Kaiser Roll!

Little did I know that Kaisers was really for "experienced" surfers?  I guess I should do a little more research BEFORE I paddle out into the lineup.  I'm a kook and sometimes I do some kook things...like paddling out to Kaisers.

However, while staying at the Hale Koa (military hotel on Waikiki Beach, it's one of the closest spots you can get to.  However, it does have a long (at least it was to me) paddle out to the lineup!  My first paddle out was a good 20 minutes...but some people will jump off the rocks and make it out a little quicker.  

I will have to confirm that the bottom is CLOSE to the surface when you are dropping in.  In fact, the waves once slammed me into the reef on my back and it HURT!  It's also very shallow...I mean shallow as in ledgy!!!  It appears that there is only a few inches of water over the reef when the wave jacks up and you are dropping in.  

Since this was my first reef break, I learned quickly to NOT FALL on the drop!  And if you do, grab on to your board to stay on top of the water...there isn't much distance from the top of the water and the reef!

It is a fun little surf spot and I'd go back.  There was a little "localism", but most of the guys were welcoming!  As a kook, I hung out along the edge/channel to catch some of the scraps.  Only a few times did I jump into the middle of the lineup.


Here's the info about the Kaisers from WannaSurf.com

SURF SPOT CHARACTERISTICS

SURF SPOT QUALITY
Wave qualityRegional Classic
ExperienceExperienced surfers
FrequencyDon't know
WAVE
TypeReef-coral
DirectionRight and left
BottomReef (coral, sharp rocks etc..)
PowerHollow, Fast, Powerful, Ledgey
Normal lengthNormal (50 to 150m)
Good day lengthLong (150 to 300 m)
TIDE, SWELL AND WIND
Good swell directionSouthWest, South, SouthEast
Good wind directionNorth, NorthWest, NorthEast
Swell sizeStarts working at Less than 1m / 3ft and holds up to 2.5m+ / 8ft+
Best tide positionAll tides
Best tide movementRising tide
MORE DETAILS
Week crowdFew surfers
Week-end crowdUltra crowded
Webcam url 
DANGERS
- Rocks
- Man-made danger (buoys etc..)
- Localism
- Sharks

No comments:

Post a Comment