Thursday, February 20, 2014

Give me a WAX job!!!!

Have you ever thought you have overdone it? If not, then maybe your not trying hard enough!


When I add wax to my board...I add WAX (and lots of it) because I don't like it when my hand or foot slips off when I'm out there trying to popup or walk to the nose!


WAX...it's such a simple thing that many times we take for granted. However, when you add it to your board, it has to be the “right kind” (weather rated). So, I'd like to explain the waxing process for my BOARD!


There are three simple steps (board prep, base coat, wax) to waxing a board if you don't already have wax on it, but after it's already waxed you'd think that you'd just need to add MORE wax, get in water and SURF!!! But it doesn't seem to be that easy (at least for ME).


So let's take a look at the waxing dilemma I often find myself in...how to wax and how much to add?


Over the years, I've tried various ways of adding wax to my board. I've done the overlapping circles to build up the “bumps”. I've tried the cross lines creating a checkerboard on the board...but there is a lot of unwaxed space and surfboards are slippery when wet. Then there is back and forth motion...to just get coverage and hit some of those spots that lay a little low (like those heal impressions). But it's not just about the WAY you wax, but it's also about HOW MUCH!


I'm of the firm belief that more IS better (MOBETTER)! I also wax the ENTIRE board...no not the underside (better known as a Chinese Wax Job), but ALL of the top of the board! Yes, from tip to tail and all in between! It's because someday (hopefully someday), I'll be able to walk the length (while in the water) and Hang Ten! I know, I KNOW...it's something that's on my Bucket List and someday...I hope I get there...so I need to be READY (with a waxed board).


However, after a recent surf session, I realized that my wetsuit and the warm weather has helped my wax dissipate a little easier so I have a few blank spots. Also, I found my hands slipping during my popup (and after breaking my nose last fall when my board met my face, I don't want that to happen again) so I think a little more wax will help.


But BETTINA had a few comments and LOTS of laughs when she looked at my wax job.


SOOOO...more wax means less injury (at least for me)! So don't laugh at my board wax job...just remember that it means less time in the ER!


While it's NOT equivalent to a Brazilian Wax Job...it is A LOT of wax!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment