Friday, January 10, 2014

Surfing Buddies - TheJudge

Let me say this first…without surfing buddies, surfing would be NO FUN!  

While most surfing buddies are found in the line up or are friends that you GO surfing with, this surfing buddy came about a very different path!  In fact, we have NEVER surfed together…  however, we have talked surf and shared a lot of our surfing experiences.

TheJudge is one COOL guy who came along in my life when I needed a friend!  See I was a LONNNNNNNNG way away from the family on a military deployment for 12 months…yes, 12 months away from the ones you love is a LONGGGGGGGGGG time!

However, when I deployed in the summer of 2010, I wasn't sure what would keep me sane, but I figured it would be something to do with surfing (even if I wasn't going to catch any waves in the Persian Gulf.  It was during this deployment I met and become LIFE LONG friends with TheJudge!  See he too was deployed for 12 months and he was a SURFER!

During those long days of work when I needed a break, I'd head over to TheJudge's office for some surf talk.  I can remember the first time I walked into his office and he had maps posted on his wall of ALL the Hawaiian Island surf spots.  This is when I knew I had a "real surfer" in my presence.  It turns out he had surfed Hawaii in the past and this was a reminder of the "good ole days".  

For me, these surf spots were "dreams of the future" because I too wanted to surf some Hawaiian waves, which I did during my mid-tour break (15 days in Hawaii surfing Kaisers almost every day).

Additionally, TheJudge knew I would be "dry" from some time and to help me stay "stoked", he cut me a CD of all of his Jack Johnson tracks.  This was music to my ears.

To TheJudge…THANKS for keeping me stoked for the 12 months in the war!  I couldn't have made it through many days if you hadn't been there to keep my mind off of the daily grind with a little surf talk!  Friends FOREVER!!!! and I can't wait until we someday get to paddle out into the lineup TOGETHER!

TheJudge with his bride in Morocco…I'm sure he was checking out the surf 


No comments:

Post a Comment